Re: Raid 1, Raid 0 Question

On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 12:22, Glenn MacGregor wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a raid 1 array on RedHat6.2 running fine for over a year.  It has =
>
> 2 18 Gig 10000 rpm SCSI Drives.  I am running out of space.  I have two
> more 18 Gig SCSI Drives doing nothing.  Is it possible to stripe the
> mirrors without recreating the whole array?  Or Do I need to blow it
> away and put the data back on?

Mmm.  I can't figure out an easy way to do it quickly and easily.

If you've got a big fast tape backup, and can afford some downtime to
mess with the drives, just back everything up, create 2 mirrors of 2
drives each, and then stripe those two mirrors together.

If you don't have a good backup, or can't afford downtime, or don't feel
like doing it that way, here are instructions for "the hard way".  I'm
assuming the old raidtools, as I haven't worked with Neil's stuff yet.

Make a backup FIRST, even if it takes ages.  Who knows what might go
wrong?  Leave your existing RAID volume alone.  Create two new mirrors,
in degraded mode, from your two new disks.  Create a new stripe from
those two mirrors.  newfs the stripe device, which should give you 36GB
of space.  Copy the data from the original mirror onto the stripe
volume.  Delete/erase/wipe/whatever the original mirror disks.  Add
those disks to the degraded mirrors, and allow data reconstruction to
take place.  Run another backup.  That should be it.  HTH,
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.

-