Inserting headphone "locks" audio

I have a ThinkPad X1 running Ubuntu 22.04 and a "ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock"  If I insert a headphone jack to the docking station, I can only hear sound coming from the headphones... I cannot switch to HDMI.  At my last job I had another ThinkPad running RHEL 8 and a docking station, and I was able to leave my headphones plugged in and switch to HDMI.  How can I fix?  The docking station is tucked away, and it's a bit of a chore to plug the headphones in and out.