Re: Fedora's default installation seems ... uh... Quite Different!

On Thu, 6 Jul 2023, Denis Shulyaka wrote:

Fedora uses pipewire instead of pulseaudio on default installations. You
should either interface pipewire to your pulseaudio server or replace
pipewire with pulseaudio.

Well, that sure explains it!

Thanks to your reply, I've read a few articles on things now.

...I sort of regret having stuck with Fedora because it's a test-bed. On the other hand, this time _maybe_ (??) I got lucky I hadn't been down any garden path yet and now get to choose: At least the designers of pipewire claim:

"The owner of this proposal has been in context with both the PulseAudio and JACK maintainers and community. PipeWire is considered to be the successor of both projects."

Incompetence with English aside (surely they don't mean "context" but "contact"), at least the goal is to move things in a more "professional" direction.

Do the puseaudio folks agree with the claim of piperwire being the successor project?! That's quite a claim if it's false!

Early reports weren't so great, but it's been a few years and things seem to be better - from what I've read so far.

That said, regarding your proposal that I shold interface pipewire into my pulseaudio server, well, if I _HAD_ a pulseaudio server, I'd consider that first! I tried, and it would not _easily_ install (without going into what for me is uncharted waters).

Thank's again, Denis, for your reply!

Richard