Re: module-remap-source, module-virtual-source, and latencies

Thanks for the replies!

guest271314 - Huh, that's odd that you would see any audio differences. My stab in the dark guess would be some sort of PulseAudio resampling? Otherwise I would think the PCM data would be the same. I'll double check that the audio quality is as expected.

Georg - I can see how that MR could reduce latency, interesting.

I'm kind of just thinking out loud here, but the latency can get very low (say to 10ms), right? As long as I have small numbers in pa_buffer_attr, I would think that:
- My application would get a callback from PulseAudio, telling it to write something
- My application writes something
- Immediately thereafter, Chrome gets a callback to read data
- Chrome reads the data
- There isn't a risk of an underrun here by Chrome, because it will only get callbacks when data is ready (hazy guess!)

I ask this because my alternative is modifying Chromium and sending data directly to it over a custom IPC channel. But in theory that IPC channel should not be faster than PulseAudio. PulseAudio is just acting as a queue, and ultimately just a form of IPC between my application and Chrome.

In any case, I'll soon find the answer myself. Thanks!