Re: Need help resolving audio recording/playback issues

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 10:57:18AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2022, Sean Greenslade wrote:
>
> > - The preamp gain knob on the Scarlett is set high enough. Dynamic mics
> >  can have pretty weak signals. On mine, I need to pretty much max out the
> >  preamp to get signals strong enough to light up the green ring.
>
> Sean,
>
> I turned the Scarlett Solo mic gain to maximum and the pre-amp green ring
> flickers when I speak. So this part's resolved; I must have turned down the
> gain without noticing.

Great, so now we know the signal is getting in to the audio interface.

> With audio-recorder started pavucontrol shows it present in the Recording
> tab, but the VU bar doesn't move when I speak into the microphone.

This is pretty strange. If you look on the Input Devices tab, do you see
the Scarlett device and its VU meter? Even with no application
recording, the Input Devices tab VU meter should be reacting to the
input.

Can you run the command "pactl list sources" and post its output? Also,
can you check the Configuration tab of pavucontrol and see what profile
the Scarlett is set to?

--Sean