Re: Error running from procmail

On Tue, Feb 08, 2022 at 12:55:53PM +0100, Adrian van Bloois wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 10:10:47PM -0800, Sean Greenslade wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 07:06:38PM +0100, Adrian van Bloois wrote:
> > > Hallo,
> > > I try to run a morse code program from procmail to produce an audible
> > > signal when mail arrives. My postfix(MTA) calls procmail(mail delivery
> > > agent) to deliver the mail. This obviously runs in the background.
> > > :rpocmail calls morse to give the signal that mail has arrived. However
> > > morse produces an error:
> > > ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused
> > >
> > > I'm using CentOS-7 right now, earlier I used CentOS-6 and then it worked
> > > perfectly. I suspect it is a matter of permissions, but I can't figure
> > > out where it goes wrong.
> > > Do you experts have any ideas????
> >
> > Are you logging in directly to the CentOS machine and keeping a session
> > active, or is it running headless?
>
> Both, one machine is running headless the other I keep logged in on a
> text-based console.

OK, so there are two separate machines? Is the machine that is going to
be producing the sound the one that always has the console logged in?

Also, are you trying to do any sort of networked pulseaudio setup? Like:

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Network/

> > And just to sanity check, can you see if the pulseaudio and
> > pulseaudio-utils packages are installed:
> >
> > $ rpm -q pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils
>
> Both are installed
> >
> > ...and running:
> >
> > $ ps aux | grep pulseaudio
>
> Is running, it has my own userid, probably caused by my listening to a
> radio station earlier.

OK, so presumably this means that your machine has pulseaudio set up
correctly. Perhaps your issue is that the morse program is not running
as your logged-in user, so it cannot connect to your session's pulse
socket?

--Sean