troubleshooting switch-on-connect and switch-on-port-available

I have a new Inspiron 7320 detachable, and was able to get sound working by compiling a recent SOF kernel (see https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/issues/3161). Both the input and output device are detected automatically but I have to manually choose the Headphones output device every time I plug them in.

I followed the instructions on this link (https://askubuntu.com/a/1268529/14747) in order to try to see the plugged in event using `log-level = debug` and journalctrl but there is no message printed when I plug in the headphones. Could someone please give me some hints on how to troubleshoot this situation?

kms