Re: Question about Pulseaudio hardware abstraction

On 29.04.20 10:57, Jim Kent wrote:

I have a question about how Pulseaudio functions between sound hardware and applications in Linux and spins. I noticed both Firefox and Chromium internally report many hardware details, including the sound output chipset and connected Bluetooth devices (with unique identifiers).

I am not sure this information is taken from pulseaudio. If you do "pactl list sinks", you can
see what is exposed to clients.

I assumed that Pulseaudio behaved as an opaque interface between software and hardware, in other words, applications send and receive inputs and outputs to Pulseaudio, which in turn mixes and exclusively communicates with sound hardware. Instead, I have noticed many instances where browsers exhibit unintended control over sound outputs, for instance, playing a youtube video will sometimes abruptly disconnect a Bluetooth headset.

This sounds weird and I never heard about such a behavior. If the browser is doing such things it is certainly
not through PA. A disconnect may happen if there are issues with the bluetooth connectivity, but in that case
the problem should not be application related and is below the PA level.

Is this behavior by design? Is it possible to sandbox applications from the sound hardware so that they only communicate and have a view of Pulseaudio, rather than the underlying hardware? Could something like Jack accomplish this?