Re: Bluetooth codec selection

On Sun, 2020-01-12 at 12:42 +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
> [...]
>
> But this is just designing UI for selecting sub-profile. It does not
> involve any changes on pulseaudio server.
>
> > and it's probably good to avoid unnecessary
> > manual changes between a2dp_sink and headset_head_unit too, because
> > that may confuse or make things more complicated for the automatic
> > profile switching logic.
>
> We cannot avoid it. Choosing codec is part of connection establishment.
> So if user is not satisfied with currently used codec he should be able
> to change it.
>
> > Setting the codec preferences and choosing the
> > active profile would be good to keep as separate actions.
> >
> > Are there differences in use cases for HFP and bidirectional A2DP? To
>
> I guess you are asking for "bidirectional A2DP codec with activated
> backchannel". As I saw, aptX-LL is often used without backchannel, so is
> only one-directional.
>
> And what are differences? HFP is synchronous with a low delay and
> supports additional features, e.g. phone control, battery power status,
> button press, vendor extensions, etc...
>
> Bidirectional A2DP codec FastStream has better quality then HFP CVSD.
> Some devices does not have to support HFP mSBC.
>
> So user had to choose: Does it need better quality? Then choose A2DP.
> Does it need to control phone calls? Then choose HFP with lower audio
> quality.
>
> I'm looking at it: You need to choose profile (HFP or A2DP) based on
> what features you need. And then choose audio quality.
>
> All bluetooth audio devices describes which bluetooth profiles (HFP,
> A2DP, ...) they support and also what functionality they in their
> profile they support. So user needs to know what is he using to not be
> surprised that something does not work (just because PA decided to use
> other bluetooth profile).
>
> > me it seems that the use cases are the same, and the user should have
> > the HFP and bidirectional A2DP codecs in one list (not necessarily in
> > this order):
> >
> > * CVSD (hardware)
> > * mSBC (software)
> > * mSBC (hardware)
> > * AuriStream
> > * FastStream
> > * aptX-LL
> >
> > So I'm not sure the new bidirectional A2DP profiles are needed, but
> > maybe having them makes the implementation easier. I'd be ok with
> > adding the new profiles, but making the primary codec configuration API
> > separate and automatically switching the profile when the preferred
> > bidirectional codec is changed.
> >
> > I noticed you listed "aptX-LL without backchannel" as a sub-profile.
> > Isn't that the same as plain aptX?
>
> No. Those are two different things. aptX-LL should have lower latency.
> Encoded stream is same, but packed differently at lower bluetooth
> layers (different buffer sizes and maybe on receiver side also some
> optimizations).
>
> > Would you be willing to document the codec negotiation process in the

The things that you mentioned below:
 * Either side can establish the connection, so it's not obvious what
things can trigger a connection. For example, what might cause a
headset to initiate the connection?
 * BlueZ may decide the codec instead of PulseAudio. What logic does it
use?
 * There are many places with their own defaults. What are these places
and their codec selection logic?

Maybe these things doesn't affect the UI as I first thought, but it
would be great to have a reference anyway, so that the system can be
understood when debugging codec issues.

> > I can give you a wiki account. I believe you have already
> > explained this before in emails, but I've forgotten the details. To me
> > it would make sense if only the playback side (or the audio gateway for
> > bidirectional modes) could decide the codec, but I recall the reality
> > is more complicated, and there were multiple places where the chosen
> > codec may be remembered.
>
> Side which establishing connection choose codec. It does not have to be
> playback side. And connection establishment is done by calling DBus
> bluez function, independently of pulseaudio (in most cases desktop
> bluetooth GUI application do that). So we cannot avoid it.
>
> But there are many places which has own defaults. So establishing
> connection would work without specifying codec and some remembered /
> default value would be used.
>
> > The negotiation details affect the constraints
> > for UI design.
>
> We can do this: When user choose profile, then PA issue command to
> activate profile with some default codec. User would see in GUI what was
> chosen and could change if is not happy with it. If he does not care
> about it he would use default / remembered option and so does not have
> to choose anything.

Here's my current overall thinking:

Having the six profiles as you suggested is good.

If I understood correctly, you're proposing to make the sub-profiles a
generic concept rather than a bluetooth specific API. I'm a bit
hesitant to add an abstraction that doesn't in reality abstract
anything, because bluetooth is the only user for now and other users
haven't been suggested. On the other hand, I don't foresee concrete
problems with this either, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

In my previous mail I suggested keeping the codec preference
configuration independent from the active profile, but this can be
implemented later if this is something people want.

--
Tanu

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk