Re: hp-wmi: info hotkey has no keycode or scancode

Am 23.01.24 um 16:34 schrieb Hans de Goede:

Hi,

On 1/23/24 16:13, Dennis Nezic wrote:
On 23 Jan 15:22, Armin Wolf wrote:
Am 23.01.24 um 09:58 schrieb Armin Wolf:

Am 23.01.24 um 05:40 schrieb Dennis Nezic:

On 22 Jan 22:23, Dennis Nezic wrote:
On 22 Jan 11:44, Armin Wolf wrote:
Am 22.01.24 um 08:05 schrieb Dennis Nezic:

On 21 Jan 16:16, Armin Wolf wrote:
Am 20.01.24 um 22:39 schrieb Dennis Nezic:

On 20 Jan 21:52, Armin Wolf wrote:
Am 20.01.24 um 19:58 schrieb Dennis Nezic:

Guys, the "info" illuminated touch-key (hotkey?) on my laptop
"doesn't
work", showkey doesn't report any keycode or scancode. I don't
see any
wmi related error messages from dmesg. All the other illuminated
"hotkeys" work fine, although confusingly evtest and "libinput
debug-events" report that they're coming through the event
interface
associated with "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" instead of "HP WMI
hotkeys", but hey, as long as I receive them I'm okay :p.

hp-wmi.c does seem to reference it:

How can I go about troubleshooting this? (I'm using kernel 6.6.8)
it can be possible that your machine does not use hp-wmi to
deliver keycodes
to the operating system, but instead emulates a standard
keyboard controller.

Can you check with "kacpimon" that events concerning a PNP0C14
device are being
received?
Very possible indeed. "kacpimon" doesn't show anything when I
press that
touchkey, but it does when I press all the other touchkeys. (I
do get
lots of accelerometer noise.)

Interesting, can you please share the output of:
- "kacpimon" while you where pressing the buttons
- "acpidump"
Those events are touchscreen events, maybe your mouse is
responsible for them.
Right, of course, woops, these must have been the touchpad press
events,
as I was moving the mouse around :P

Instead they look like this:

I'm definitely not seeing anything like that, just "^Input Layer:
Type"'s

Can you try to use kacpimon again but without root privileges? This
way only netlink events show up.
You might also stop acpid while you are using kacpimon.
0 output from/with netlink, even though kacpimon said:

Netlink ACPI Family ID: 24
Netlink ACPI Multicast Group ID: 5
netlink opened successfully

Remember all my other fancy hotkeys "work", but they appear as regular
keypress events from an "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard".

If you still cannot receive any netlink events, then i might need
to take a look at your ACPI tables
via acpidump.
https://dennisn.mooo.com/stuff/dump.txt

Thanks,
Armin Wolf
Thank you again sir!
A1799AC3-9429-4529-927E-DFE13736EEBA has zero instances
8232DE3D-663D-4327-A8F4-E293ADB9BF05 has zero instances
8F1F6436-9F42-42C8-BADC-0E9424F20C9A has zero instances
8F1F6435-9F42-42C8-BADC-0E9424F20C9A has zero instances

(Btw that "info" key does get illuminated when I touch/press it, even
though no codes are seen.)
These warnings in dmesg are harmless, they are informing you that some
WMI devices are unavailable.

I took a look at your ACPI tables and it seems that the WMI device
used by hp-wmi is indeed unused.
What is the model name of your HP notebook?
HP Compaq 8710p

Also i just noted that your notebook might contain a PNP0C32 quickstart button device.
Can you tell me the output of "cat /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C32\:00/status"?
15
Interesting.

There have been several attempts to add support for this
in the past. The last one being:

https://lore.kernel.org/platform-driver-x86/20220922182424.934340-1-lkml@xxxxxxxxx/

Note that in this case this also required some vender
specific poking in toshiba_acpi to get things to work.

I see that the HP Compaq 8710p is about the same vintage
as the Toshiba Z830 on which the last attempt to do
something about the quick start buttons was done.

So this might very well explain the missing button issue.

Regards,

Hans

I can try to upstream the necessary changes. But i cannot test the changes concerning the toshiba_acpi driver.
Would it be ok if i omit those changes?

Dennis, can you check that your device runs the latest BIOS? And if this is not the case, could you do a BIOS
update and send me an updated acpidump?

The reason for this is that currently, the button device receives only system wake events, but no button press
events during runtime. Maybe this is a BIOS bug, although this could also be intentional (fancy power button).

Armin Wolf