Re: [hp_wmi] Recieving same keycode from two keys

Hi,

On 11/3/20 3:51 PM, Rhys Perry wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 14:43, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Note I restored the Cc list again, please use Reply-to-all.
>>

> Yeah, sorry about that again. I have a hotkey set for reply and am
> using it out of habit.

>>> I ran evemu-record for my "Video Bus" devices (of which I had two) and
>>> there was nothing on those either. I quickly ran over every single
>>> input device and I can confirm that "AT Translated Set 2 Keyboard" is
>>> the only one that responds to brightness keys.
>>
>> Hmm, ok, weird.
>>
>> Usually at least something is generating events for this. Often
>> we have the problem that we get the brightness keys reported
>> by multiple input devices, this is a new problem.
>>
>> Can you try adding:
>>
>> wmi.debug_event=1
>>
>> To your kernel commandline and then after rebooting do:
>>
>> cat /proc/cmdline
>>
>> To check that it really is there and then do:
>>
>> dmesg -w
>>
>> To monitor kernel messages and then press the brightness
>> up/down hotkeys and see if you get any new messages ?
>>

> Nope, exactly the same as before:
> ```
> [   42.501517] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2,
> code 0xab on isa0060/serio0).
> [   42.501524] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e02b <keycode>' to make it known.
> [   42.512377] atkbd serio0: Unknown key released (translated set 2,
> code 0xab on isa0060/serio0).
> [   42.512383] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e02b <keycode>' to make it known.
> [   43.160730] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2,
> code 0xab on isa0060/serio0).
> [   43.160738] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e02b <keycode>' to make it known.
> [   43.171970] atkbd serio0: Unknown key released (translated set 2,
> code 0xab on isa0060/serio0).
> [   43.171978] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e02b <keycode>' to make it known.
> ```

Ok bummer, so it looks like only get the one event and need to catch
that (we can use i8042_install_filter() from some driver for that) and
then when we catch it probably make some ACPI call to figure out what
is going on. I took a quick peek at the acpidump you provided, but it is
huge.  One thing which did stand out is that ssdt14.dsl (after disassembling)
has:

            Method (GHKS, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                Debug = "GetHotkeyState-----"

            Method (SHKS, 1, Serialized)
            {
                Debug = "SetHotkeyState-----"

Which may or may not be related ... But I'm afraid I do not have
the time to investigate that avenue further.

One last thing to try (I guess) is adding the following to your kernel
commandline and see if that changes things:

acpi_backlight=video

Possible other values to try are "vendor" "native" and "none"

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

I think you mentioned this before, but what was the exact model of your laptop again?