Re: platform/x86: status of thinkpad_acpi patch from January

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 10:31 PM Barnabás Pőcze <pobrn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2020. július 26., vasárnap 20:46 keltezéssel, Andy Shevchenko írta:
> > On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 7:39 PM Barnabás Pőcze wrote:

> > Either way documentation should be present in the ThinkPad one.
> >

> I am quite new to Linux kernel development, and I don't exactly understand which piece of documentation you refer to. The only file under Documentation/ that contains "thinkpad" in its name is admin-guide/laptops/thinkpad-acpi.rst, which makes no mention of battery charge limits. So it should be mentioned there? Or it should be documented in the driver itself that those two are obsolete, etc.? Or both?

This one: admin-guide/laptops/thinkpad-acpi.rst

> > > Possibly a warning could be emitted when software uses the old attributes? Or what do you recommend?
> >
> > No warning, just provide documentation.
> >
> > I'm fine if you (it seems the author is not you for that series?)
> > append a follow up patch with this.

> That is correct. I am not the author.

JFYI, I applied that series to my review and testing queue in a *hope*
that documentation will follow soon (from anybody, I don't care who).
It does not mean I'll propagate this w/o documentation to upstream.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko