Re: platform/x86: status of thinkpad_acpi patch from January

2020. július 26., vasárnap 18:20 keltezéssel, Andy Shevchenko írta:

> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 6:45 PM Barnabás Pőcze wrote:
>
> > Hello Andy,
> > please excuse me that I am writing to you personally.
> > A patch series1 has been submitted to the platform-driver-x86 list before I subscribed to that list, so I cannot react to it in the form of a reply,
>
> JFYI: patchwork allows you to download messages in mbox format which
> most of MUA allows to use and reply to.

I have never heard of that, but I will try to keep it in mind. Thank you.

> I'm Cc'ing this to a mailing list.
>
> > so I resorted to writing to you personally, since you were the last (and only) person to react to that series.
> > Patchwork shows its state as "Changes requested", but I don't see any comments on v3 of the series. Can you please take a look and explain what needs to be done for it to be merged?
>
> As pointed out during v2 review [2] the work is needed to be done, i.e.
>
> "Don't forget to update any documentation if needed."

I don't know if it relevant, but in the first mail, the author writes:

"The old names were not documented explicitly and new generic software should automatically use the new attributes, which may allow to drop the old names."

As far as I see, that is correct, those attribute names are not documented anywhere in the kernel (except in the commit message of the patch that introduced them) (at least grep didn't show any results). And the new ones are documented in ABI/sysfs-class-power.

Possibly a warning could be emitted when software uses the old attributes? Or what do you recommend?