Re: New dell-wireless driver

<dvhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 11:45:08PM +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I saw dell-wireless driver on platform-driver-x86
> >> mailinglist [1] which using DELLABCE acpi device and I do
> >> not like some parts in this driver.
> >
> > Hi Pali,
> >
> > Thanks for reviewing and speaking up :)
> >
> >> First is that this driver export rfkill event as keypress
> >> which is also reported to userspace by keyboard
> >> controller. So then userspace receive two rfkill
> >> keypresses.
> >
> > Alex, can you comment? Does the keyboard controller also see
> > this event?
>
> Hi Darrent and Pali,
>
> The internal KBC needs not to send any events in addition to
> the ACPI event Notify(RBTN, 0x80) according to the
> information I received from Dell. I did not received the same
> event on the Dell systems I tested.
>
> Can I have more detailed information of the system and I can
> ask Dell for clarifications.

Hello,

I have Dell Latitude E6440.

Do you have some documentation for Dell Embedded Controller (or
Keyboard controller) which receiving touchpad, trackstick and
keyboard data and how it modify them?

There are couple of problems with EC on Latitude Exx40 models
(invalid PS/2 packets from trackstick, keyboard repeating keys,
keyboard not releasing keys, duplicate key events). You can find
that these problems are discussed on internet by lot of users and
only occur on Linux (not Windows!). I would like to fix these
problems, but without some information from Dell it is
impossible. I was told that these problems does not come from
ALPS (touchpad+trackstick) device directly.

Do you have some contacts in Dell (BIOS/firmware/ACPI team) who
can look at it or provide some information?

> >> Second is that DELLABCE acpi device can also control "soft"
> >> rfkill status and this driver does not enable it because it
> >> use input class instead rfkill.
>
> Yes DELLABCE could have a rkfkill device that providing
> soft-block interface; however, I did not see the benefit of
> introducing the extra interfaces when one is sufficient.

Kernel module dell-laptop.ko (which using Dell SMM, not ACPI!)
can provides rfkill interface but only on some laptops
(Prevision, Latitude). For other models there is no rfkill
interface, so if ACPI provides one it should be exported to
userspace.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx