Re: New dell-wireless driver

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Darren Hart <dvhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 11:45:08PM +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I saw dell-wireless driver on platform-driver-x86 mailinglist [1]
>> which using DELLABCE acpi device and I do not like some parts in
>> this driver.
>
> Hi Pali,
>
> Thanks for reviewing and speaking up :)
>

>> First is that this driver export rfkill event as keypress which
>> is also reported to userspace by keyboard controller. So then
>> userspace receive two rfkill keypresses.
>
> Alex, can you comment? Does the keyboard controller also see this event?

Hi Darrent and Pali,

The internal KBC needs not to send any events in addition to the ACPI
event Notify(RBTN, 0x80) according to the information I received from
Dell. I did not received the same event on the Dell systems I tested.

Can I have more detailed information of the system and I can ask Dell
for clarifications.

>> Second is that DELLABCE acpi device can also control "soft"
>> rfkill status and this driver does not enable it because it use
>> input class instead rfkill.

Yes DELLABCE could have a rkfkill device that providing soft-block
interface; however, I did not see the benefit of introducing the extra
interfaces when one is sufficient.

Prior to Windows 8, each OEM has wireless interfaces of its own.
Microsoft introduces standard wireless interfaces and OEM starts to
drop OEM's interfaces.

I  used the same philosophy and remove rfkill devices if they do not
add extra benefits, especially inconsistency between rfkill devices
can and does causes problems according to past experiences.

--
Cheers,
Alex Hung