Re: PBX selection

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 02:48:02PM +0800, Roamer2998 wrote:
>  Hi all, I'm new to VoIP, now we have a project that needs
> a PBX with client APPs.
> In our team we have argument for choosing PBX. By so far,
> we have following candidates:
>
> A: Open source
>
>      1) Asterisk PBX (http://www.asterisk.org) (with
> longest history that almost every one knows it, now the last version using
> the PJSIP stack)
>      2) FreeSwitch (http://www.freeswitch.org) (A lot
> people recommended it to us)
>

> B: Commercial
>
>     1) Vodia PBX (http://www.vodia.com). It comes from
> SNOM, but acquired by a HongKong company now
>     2) PortSIP PBX (http://www.portsip.com/portsip-pbx).
> It also includes VoIP SDK, WebRTC and offer rebranding app for free.
>
> My boss prefers the Open Source PBX since they are
> free, but our CTO prefers the commercial editions, according to whom the
> business PBX has better support, and the performance
> is good, and easy to use - considering our team all are new to VoIP/PBX.

Disclaimer: I work for a company that sells commercial Asterisk-based
PBX-es.

I'll just note that there are companies and companies that give you
Asterisk as a commercial and supported product. The tradeoff here is
that you are then (depending on the terms of the support contract) less
free to tweak the system. From your description this seems like an
important feature.

(I am not familiar enough with FreeSwitch or any other software and
can't comment on them)

> We have did some searching of Asterisk, here are my questions:
>
> 1. Does the last Asterisk using PJSIP stack ?

Asterisk uses PJSIP as of version 12. It was added alongside the
internal Asterisk SIP "stack" (chan_sip.c: a file that exceeds 1MB and
people don't enjoy changing). In Asterisk 13 it became the default.

> 2. Does there has the comparison of PJSIP and reSIProcate, sofia(using by
> FreeSwicth) ?

I believe that sofia's independent development is rather lacking at the
moemnt. At the time the FreeSwitch developers chose it it was the best
choise. But when it was time for the Asterisk developers to replace
chan_sip with a saner SIP stack they preffered reSIProcate (even though
it was C++ and not C as Asterisk it) and PJSIP (even though it required
patching it to allow dynamic linking) over sofia. Because at least at
the time the sofia stack was lacking development.

See https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/SIP+Stack+Research

> 3. Is it easy to compile and setup Asterisk?

Yes, basically. But what do you want to do with it?

Asterisk (and also FreeSwitch, as I understand it) is not a PBX. It is a
toolkit with which you can build a PBX. For instance, FreePBX is a PBX
based on Asterisk.

But do you really need a PBX? Or do you need a more generic telephony
server?

> 4. Which Asterisk version is recommended?

That depends on the timing of your product. In Asterisk odd versions are
LTS (maintained and supported for a longer time frame). The current LTS
is 13 but 14 has also been released. Specifically PJSIP is one of the
features that has been maturing.

If you want a PBX right now, go for 13. If you aim for a product to be
released a year from now, use current git master and wait for it to
become 15.

> And does Asterisk support Windows ?

Asterisk does not run on Windows.

--