Build PJSIP libraries for iPhone simulator

Hello everyone!

I am very new to both PJSIP and mobile development, therefore I apologize
if my questions will sound naive or just downright wrong.

I would like to be able run the iPhone application which uses PJSIP
libraries in the iPhone simulation environment provided by Xcode.
I would imaging that for that I need to be able to build the PJSIP
libraries for the x86/64 (Intel type architecture) target. To support that
theory if I build an application for the simulator target in Xcode while
PJSIP libraries are build for the ARM[x] target I am getting a bunch of
warnings and consequently unresolved errors all due to the fact that each
and every library "is ignored due to the fact that it is archived for the
architecture different from the i386 build target". I would say it all
makes sense.
Unfortunately I was not able to find the right architecture parameter
setting in order to be able to build for the Intel processor. Even the most
expected to work x86_64 (ARCH='-arch x86_64') was getting rejected as not
supported by the clang compiler:

ARCH = x86_64
checking build system type... x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0
checking host system type... x86_64-apple-darwin_ios
checking target system type... x86_64-apple-darwin_ios
checking for x86_64-apple-darwin_ios-gcc...
/Applications/XCode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/../../../Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang
checking whether the C compiler works... no
aconfigure: error: in `/Users/ybrenman/iOS/pjproject-2.4.5':
aconfigure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Needless to say I tried a lot of other combinations and permutations like
i386, etc. Having said that obviously Xcode toolchain is perfectly capable
of building the iPhone application code for Intel processor architecture.

Clearly, I am missing something simple. And I am sure I am not the first
one to do this. But just can't figure out what.

Every bit of help is greatly appreciated

Carlos