Dial feature code like *778

Hi,

we are using  pjsip to develop a  sip dialer application. Asteriks is the
sip and media server. Everything is working fine. However when a  special
code like *77 or *778 is dialed invalid response is received from the
server.
Asterisk allows activation of some features like dnd by dialing   those
special number starting with *. Are we missing something?
The dialer application  requires the capability to dial special code like
those.

Thanks in advanced. Any help will  be highly appreciated.Eagerly waiting
for the response.

Parvez Mahmud