Video Orientation Remote Notification

I would like to extend my earlier question below by asking what mechanisms
are available in PJSIP that are useful for custom application messaging. I
stumbled across the RTCP APP packet specification and am considering using
this for passing things like volume level, etc. Has anyone implemented this
or something similar in a Media Transport Adapter before? If there is a
better way I would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks!
Alan