Greetings and a question

On Jan 23, 2014, at 7:37 AM, Dennis Guse <dennis.guse at alumni.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> 1. But why rely on a external CNS?
> I know battery consumption will be a little bit less - any other reasons?

Well most VoIP apps that I've used have to be running, or at least in the background, to function. With mobile devices there's no guarantee that an app that's been put in the background will stay in memory. I don't want to miss calls because my phone's OS decided to kill my VoIP app. And yes, there's definitely a battery use advantage as well. The VoIP app can be completely closed down while still being able to accept calls.

Acrobits is the only VoIP app vendor I know of that has a SIP/VoIP notification server. That server registers with the VSP and wakes up the UAC with a notification. In all other ways it acts as a SIP proxy server. But this is tied to Acrobits softphones. I want a solution that will work with any VoIP app.

> 2. I would still stick with a SIP-Relay setup using Asterisk/FreeSwitch/whatever
> One option would be to script Asterisk as follows:
>
> on incoming call from VSP:
> - Accept incoming call (actually optional, but call will drop after 32s if not accepted + no dial tone is generated yet...)
> - Inform CNS via some interface (probably http)
> - Loop (until try count)
> -- Try to call UAC; on fail (not available) restart loop (very strict timeout); on busy or reject or whatever cancel call.
> -- Wait if client registers (X seconds)
>
> As Asterisk can be scripted in Lua it should not be to much to.
> I would say 2 days implementing it and 1 day testing.

That estimate assumes familiarity with all the components, of course. :) For me, it would probably be less work to code something up in Python using PJSIP than installing and configuring Asterisk and then learning how to script Asterisk in Lua.

I do appreciate the feedback and suggestions, however. Do you know if my original idea would work? I know there's a lot more to it than simply redirecting, but I think this would make for the simplest solution with the fewest "moving parts".

Thanks,
Dan