Question/clarification on digest authentication

Hey guys,

I am working with a PJSIP powered client talking to OpenSIPS*** and having
issues with getting the client to correctly respond to digest authentication
during registration. I have for pjsip_cred_info:

  acc_cfg.cred_info[0].scheme = pj_str("Digest");

  acc_cfg.cred_info[0].realm = pj_str("*");

  acc_cfg.cred_info[0].username = pj_str((char *)uname);

     acc_cfg.cred_info[0].data_type = PJSIP_CRED_DATA_DIGEST;

     acc_cfg.cred_info[0].data = pj_str((char *)passwd);

and I get an assertion (*Assertion failed: (cred_info->data.slen ==
32) **function
pjsip_auth_create_digest, file **sip_auth_client.c, line 175.) *Seems this
is because it expects an MD5 message in the data field. But this seems kind
of circular to me... the complaining method is the one that's supposed to
create said digest? So it's not clear to me what the correct usage should
be, since how would I compute cred_info->data before receiving the nonce
from the challenge response?

I notice that for AKA authentication you assign a callback for calculating
the digest upon receiving the challenge - do I need to do something similar
for regular digest authentication?

Thanks!
Ambert

***http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.4.x/auth.html#id228366
The function challenges a user agent. It will generate a WWW-Authorize
header field containing a digest challenge, it will put the header field
into a response generated from the request the server is processing and send
the reply. Upon reception of such a reply the user agent should compute
credentials and retry the request.