Handling DTMF packets with jitter buffer

Hi all,

I know that this was previously discussed on PJSIP threads at:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.voip.pjsip/1751

However, I could not see a conclusion to this discussion.

A short description of the issue:

Currently PJMEDIA stream.c indicates DTMF event payloads as soon as they
arrive, audio packets however are sent through the jitter buffer and
later delivered to the receive stream via get_frame calls. This makes it
difficult to generate DTMF tones locally which are in-synch with the Rx
audio.

I noted that put_frame2 and get_frame2 were added to jbuf, perhaps to
help with this issue. Where, you could *assume* that the size parameter
indicates that the frame retrieved was AUDIO/MEDIA (size=X) or DTMF
(size=4). Was this the intended purpose?

I also noted an early ticket, http://trac.pjsip.org/repos/ticket/478
which dealt with out-of-order/duplicate DTMF packet types.

I think a potential solution to both synchronisation and
out-of-order/duplicate problems would be to put them through the jitter
buffer and perform the DTMF event decode on jitter buffer output side.
What are the developers thoughts on this?

--
BRgds,
Steve King

Design Engineer