Turn your free SIP softphone into a voice quality monitoring instrument with Sevana’s NIQA application

Sevana Oy wrote:
> The purpose of this quick how-to document is to show that implementation
> of a voice quality monitoring system may be relatively simple. The most
> complicated task is to find an easy to use and cost effective solution
> that would provide a perceptual evaluation of voice/speech quality
> recorded by your SIP-system. However, Sevana NIQA was an easy choice.
>
> We decided to use one of the most popular free SIP softphones ? pjsip
> (www.pjsip.org). This is a cute, light, but powerful tool that can do
> the two main things required for creating a VQM system:
>
>     * functionality to make SIP calls ? obviously all SIP phones have
>       this functionality
>     * ability to play and record audio files
>
> If you have a SIP software phone that supports these two features (and
> most likely any of them does) then by using Sevana?s AQuA or NIQA
> product you can setup a simple Voice Quality Monitoring (VQM) within a
> couple of minutes.
>
> Read more from here:
> http://wordpress.sevana.fi/category/voice-sound-quality-testing-software/

Is it really possible to calculate the MOS just from the received
recording - without comparing it to the original file? Doesn't MOS
suffer from delay (which is not detectable just from the recording)?

Does somebody know how pjsip writes the wavefile? Will it be written
exactly like to the audio device (with possible jitter buffer
under/overrun and playback-speed adjustments) or will the voice sample
be written just one after the other to the wave file?

thanks
klaus