symbian_ua_gui with TLS, VAS and G729 protocol via SRTP proxy

Dmitry-

> As far as I could understand, I was able to configure and
> compile symbian_ua_gui with TLS, VAS and G729 protocol to work with local
> Kamailio based server, all communications go through media-proxy, SRTP (on
> the same local server).
>
> In 3G mobile networks, everything works just fine and quality is superb.
>
> Now what I see when connecting two entities (Nokia E51) WHEN CONNECTED
> THROUGH EDGE (the place where both entities were located has *no* 3G access
> and this was simulated by switching the phones) there is a very bad quality
> of audio.
>
> Either the packets are too big for such a slow connection (you can mostly
> here about a half of each packet then overlapped by the next one) or my
> configuration lacks some other vital parameters. It is not like the behavior
> we hear in GSM connection ("robotizing", "bubbling") - just packets are
> overlapped.
>
> In general, the main problem with mobile networking is that you have a
> rather wide Inbound channel and very narrow Outbound channel.

And the other main problem is that many carriers block (or impair) voice transport over non-voice channels.  In that
case you have to encrypt or otherwise "hide" RTP (and sometimes SIP) packets on data channels.  Also when you say you
can "hear a packet" that's impossible because you're talking about 10 or 20 msec length of time -- less than 1/50th of
a second.

My suggestion would be to put Wireshark on either side of Kamailio and find out what is actually happening to your
packets.  If it's a deliberate impairment you should be able to tell.

-Jeff