Multiple sound cards and pjsip

I wish to receive 10 mono voice channels connected directly into a remote machine and have them sent via pjsip to my local machine.? The local machine will send one voice channel back to the remote machine.? At present I'm investigating if I can get 10 USB sound cards to work in Linux and to do so reliably.? For testing I plan to modify pjsua to specify a list of device names to be opened, eg /dev/dsp0, .. /dev/dsp9.? It looks like pjsua tries to open /dev/dsp (although I can't see where it picks up that device name from).
Has anyone succeeded in getting multiple sound cards to work with pjsip?
Any hints?