SIP/SDP without Sound Encoding/Decoding

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Benny Prijono <bennylp at teluu.com> wrote:

> 2010/8/17 Kabil Akp?nar <kabilakpinar at gmail.com>:
> > SIP is used by audio applications mostly, sound is the main concern of
> SIP.
> > But one might use SIP for other types of applications like stated in RFCs
> > "white board". Also SDP can be used to describe application specific data
> > rather sound encoding/decoding schema.
> > How can I use pjsip in order to create an application dealing with raw
> data
> > rather than sound and how can I modify SDP to accomplish that.
> > Your directions are very welcome
> >

> As you can see in library architecture diagram in
> http://www.pjsip.org/docs.htm, the libraries in PJSIP distro are
> arranged in layers. The PJSUA-LIB, as the highest abstraction, is tied
> up with media (audio, in this case. video is coming though ;-),

Indeed I am used to those layers. And As you said I will need to create a
layer similar to PJSUA but for raw data. The layer will need pjmedia and
pjsip. And you said video? really? and when? :)

> make it easy to use, and currently does not support other media in the
> SDP (unless if you hack it of course).

Well higher level is really bound to audio as far as I digged the source
code.

> But if you work with the lower level invite session directly (see
> [1]), you have full control over the SDP content that will be
> negotiated by the session, so at this level any media in the SDP is
> supported.

I will check it out.

[1] http://www.pjsip.org/pjsip/docs/html/group__PJSIP__INV.htm

Cheers