SIP/SDP without Sound Encoding/Decoding

2010/8/17 Kabil Akp?nar <kabilakpinar at gmail.com>:
> SIP is used by audio applications?mostly, sound is the main concern of SIP.
> But one might use SIP for other types of applications like stated in RFCs
> "white board". Also SDP can be used to describe application specific data
> rather sound encoding/decoding schema.
> How can I use pjsip in order to create an application dealing with raw data
> rather than sound and how can I modify SDP to accomplish that.
> Your directions are very welcome

As you can see in library architecture diagram in
http://www.pjsip.org/docs.htm, the libraries in PJSIP distro are
arranged in layers. The PJSUA-LIB, as the highest abstraction, is tied
up with media (audio, in this case. video is coming though ;-), to
make it easy to use, and currently does not support other media in the
SDP (unless if you hack it of course).

But if you work with the lower level invite session directly (see
[1]), you have full control over the SDP content that will be
negotiated by the session, so at this level any media in the SDP is
supported.

[1] http://www.pjsip.org/pjsip/docs/html/group__PJSIP__INV.htm

Cheers
 Benny