pjsip and iPhone. problems with audio.

Hello Nikolay

My answers are below.

Samuel

Nikolay Popok a ?crit :
> Hi.
> I'm trying to use pjsip for iPhone application, but failed to make it
> work. I'm really frustrated and have no idea how to deal with it. Any
> help would be very appreciated.
>
> Here is what i tried:
>
> 1. Used Conference Bridge with Audio Queue Services to get PCM
> samples.  Application lagged and hung up, sometimes i even had to
> reboot the iPhone. So i decided to not use software codecs, but to use
> hardware ones with the Switch Board.

Why don't you use solution described on http://code.google.com/p/siphon ?
Why do you want to reinvent the wheel ?

> 2. Used Switch Board + Audio Queue Services to get encrypted audio.
> Here i got another problem with outgoing sound. Audio Queue Services
> slept for about 500 ms and then pushed packets during short period of
> time (maybe during 120 ms). That created huge latency, sound was
> lagging at the other side.
> In order to send packets every 30ms (for ilbc)  i queued them and was
> trying to send in a separate thread, but usleep function in the
> separate thread was not working properly. It slept 30ms 4 times in a
> row and then slept 120 ms (from usleep man page: "The actual time
> slept may be longer, due to system latencies and possible limitations
> in the timer resolution of the hardware"). So i got lags at the other
> side again.
It seems Apple doesn't allow to use this function for another format
than PCM.

> 3. Then i read in the apple's documentation: "To provide lowest
> latency audio, especially when doing simultaneous input and output
> (such as for a VoIP application), use the I/O unit or the Voice
> Processing I/O unit. See ?Audio Unit Support in iPhone OS.? ".
AudioUnit can work. But you need to know that AudioSessionSetProperty
try to change the settings. But it's possible it doesn't work. In this
case you need to manage this. You can find more information on Apple
Developer Forum.