Help needed with Conference Bridge performances on uclinux-nios2

Hi Benny and all,

I'm developing an application running on uclinux-nios2 (85MHz) which
simply starts and stops multiple RTP streams from 16 different custom
audio devices (not defined as sounds ports) which provide PCMA already
coded samples.

In my first approach I used the conf bridge to connect each stream to a
custom pjmedia_port, but after the 5th-6th connection the cpu
performance becomes poor and the timing gap between each put_frame (same
for get_frame) becomes larger than 20ms (my frame length).

I'm doing some check where I can improve the performance (I've already
applied Benny's suggestions about that on:
http://trac.pjsip.org/repos/wiki/FAQ#Performance).
First of all, I've already coded pcma samples, but the conf bridge works
only with L16 samples, so I need to do a double conversion before the
streaming.
Second, the CPU usage shows very high values when I'm adding a new call
to the conf bridge.

I'm evaluating a different approach based on creating a different master
port for each call to directly connect the custom ports to the streams
and also I would like to use the pcma passthrough codec.
Do you think this would help to improve performances?
Is it possible that multiple master ports could have some timing
conflicts if running in the same application?

Any suggestion will be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Fabio