Decoding in play thread

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Nicholas Xu <xunich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> >From the media-flow article, it seems that audio decoding is done at
> the play thread. I wonder if decoding would consume some CPU time,
> then play thread cannot play audio 'all the time'. I think it would
> degrade the voice quality especially for low-end CPU and for complex
> codec (such as G.729). For example, if it take 2ms to decode 3200
> samples (8000 sample rates), then the actual play out time is 200+3 =
> 203 ms. Is there any potential problem here?

Sorry I'm a bit lost with the math there, care to explain again?

But my general feel is, if the CPU is too slow to do the decoding in time,
then it doesn't matter which thread the decoding is done, ultimately the CPU
is just not sufficient.

Not that we have many threads in pjmedia either, since objects in pjmedia
are just passive objects, with the exception of sound device and master
clock which have their own thread.

cheers
 benny