Multiple SIP users with same user name

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:39 AM, srikanth R<srikanth_r17 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am a newbie to this field and need some help from you people on how I
> could solve a problem.
>
> I have many SIP users registered with the same name.

Hello,
could you please elaborate why each user cannot have different names?

> Now I need to contact
> only a specific one of those many users. How could I do that.

Maybe you could use info on the Registrar to differentiate them: you
could use some proprietary header/tag you add to the REGISTER message
in case you are building both the Registrar and the UAs.

> Is there any way I could add a tag name or soemthing to differentiate
> between the users and include them in each message sent so that the users
> can compare the tag and decide if it is for them.

It doesn't seem to be a good idea to send the call to several
different end-points so that the end-points resolve if the call is for
them or not (it is an abuse of local and network resources).

I don't get why don't you use different usernames, but if you really
need this scheme, and if you mean you'll be using pjsip in both ends,
then surely you can add whatever tag you want in the Request-URI or
header To, etc when you call pjsip_dlg_create_uac.
If you prefer, you can also add a proprietary header using pjsip_msg_add_hdr.