Status, branching, dash, roadmap, et cetera

Hi all,

Sorry to be away from the list for long time, but to keep this email short,
I'm back. Now let me try to catch up with these hundreds of unread mails
from this list (feel free to resend your post in the next few days if your
problem is still not solved)  :)

I guess it's probably a good idea to keep you up to date with what's
happening recently. There are few stuffs.

First the status. As you know I released version 1.0.1 couple of weeks back.
>From 1.0, this release contains some bug fixes from SIPit, some of them are
quite significant. More importantly for me personally, this is really a
major milestone, as after these four years of hard work finally I had the
courage to call it version 1.0. :)

Perry summed up what 1.0.1 means to us nicely in http://blog.pjsip.org/.

Second, branching.

Yesterday I created a branch in the repository for the 1.0.x series, so
there are two parallel source tree now: the trunk for current development of
1.x series, and the 1.0 branch for the 1.0.x series. Some more info in
http://www.pjsip.org/download.htm.

Every one of you now needs to decide which series you will be working on. As
a guideline from me, use the 1.0.x series only if you have a stable, already
in market product based on pjsip. Otherwise use the trunk/1.x series.

Moving on to more interesting thing, the roadmap!

This year we will be committing our full force (the so little of it :) ) on
mobile world, with Symbian and Windows Mobile in the forefront and perhaps
to other platforms (Android anyone?) if time permits. Better quality, easier
to use, more stable, these are the usual slogans but we do want to get
there. So keep the mobile discussions coming. :)

As the first step, we are now implementing the framework to use APS/VAS
hardware codecs, and we call the feature APS-Direct/VAS-Direct, and these
would be available in the next release. For the complete info please see
http://trac.pjsip.org/repos/milestone/release-1.1.

Automated testing dashboard

Check this out, it's cool!: http://dash.pjsip.org/index.php?project=PJSIP

That is the dashboard of our automatic build and testing scripts, which run
nightly. It covers build tests for Windows/Visual Studio 2005, Mingw, S60
FP1, and Linux (hopefully we can expand the test to cover other platforms
soon), as well as unit testings for Windows, mingw, and Linux. Hopefully
that will improve our code quality.

(Slightly off topic, if you're looking to use CDash (http://www.cdash.org)
without CMake/CTest, you can try out my tool, http://trac.pjsip.org/ccdash,
which is used to submit those tests).

That's all for now, sorry for the long mail.

Cheers
 Benny