Distorted audio with g722

Hi Saul,

Please follow the inline comments..

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Saul Ibarra Corretge
<saul at ag-projects.com> wrote:

> We got some feedback from Kevin Fleming (Asterisk) and Steve Underwood (author of SpanDSP). Both Asterisk and FreeSWITCH use Steve's g722 implementation and according to tho their answers, that g722 implementation doesn't shift those last 2 bits, instead it uses the first 14.

Were you talking about this thread post [1]? Well, to me, it sounds
that r2342 has just got another confirmation :) It is exactly what
r2342 does.

> I did the following tests:
> ?- Reverted r2342 and called ZipDX wideband demo. Audio was ok.

As expected.

> ?- Reverted r2342 and played back a g722 file in Asterisk 1.6.2. Audio was ok.

Hmm, dunno. Seems that Asterisk experienced same issue and the
Asterisk version you were using seems to include the fix, as discussed
in this thread [2]. Did the g722 file generated by Asterisk with g722
fix included?

> If I applied r2342 the audio was distorted and overdriven so you got it right, this is the issue.
>
>> However, I'm afraid that we may prefer to stay with r2342.
>>

> I truly don't know the current status of other implementations but with the ones I tried (couldn't try FreeSWITCH, but according to Steve it's the same as Asterisk) r2342 makes audio quality not good.
>
>> Any feedbacks or suggestions are welcome.
>>

> As I don't know if this can be detected at runtime, I suggest this fix was applied according to a configuration option (if possible) or a define which can be selected at compile time. What are your thoughts on this?

As so far, it seems that the problem is not in r2342 (please also note
that r2342 also works great with VoiceAge implementation), wouldn't it
be wiser to report/confirm this issue to ZipDX first?

---
[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com/msg40313.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-users at lists.digium.com/msg226667.html
---