Distorted audio with g722

Hi again,

On Dec 7, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Nanang Izzuddin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for being unclear :)
>
> Was trying to say: please check the fix in #658, which contains audio
> level manipulation.
>
> IIRC, the story behind that fix was: according to (our understanding
> of) G722 spec, G722 input/output is 14 bits. So, r2342 basically
> converts audio sample from 16-bits to 14-bits before encoding and
> "returns back" the 14-bits to 16-bits after decoding. And after this
> fix, pjmedia G722 seems to work fine with VoiceAge implementation of
> G722.
>
> IIRC again, some other implementations don't do 16<->14 bits
> conversions, so when pjmedia G722 is talking to those G722
> implementations, such problems of over-driven level and audio clipping
> may occur. In this case, *reverting* (instead of including:) ) r2342
> will resolve the problem.

You were right, reverting that changes made g722 to sound ok! Now, I don't actually know how g722 devices deal with this or what's the most used option out there, maybe Randy can tell us, but nevertheless, how do you feel about adding some flag to disable the conversion at compile time? I could write a small patch for that.

Thank you both for your information and feedback.

Best regards,

--
Saul Ibarra Corretge
AG Projects