PJNATH/ICE on multihomed hosts

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Stephen D. Strowes <
stephen.strowes at nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not entirely sure I understand the question, but this is an
> interesting topic; I'd been thinking about ICE in multihomed
> environments also.
>
> >From running ICE on my own multihomed host, STUN only gathers srflx
> candidates from one interface. Only ost candidates are listed for the
> other interfaces. I guess the default (lowest numbered) interface is the
> only one checked.

Since we use only one socket per component, it would make sense to only have
one srflx candidate for each component.

I'm guessing that what you're asking is to have one socket for each
candidate, and then resolve the srflx candidate for each of these
candidates. Please see my other email (and also the link to MMUSIC
discussion) on why we don't have one socket per candidate in pjnath. In
addition, another reason why we don't have multiple sockets (and resolving
the srflx candidate for each of these sockets) is for practical reason. Most
people only have one link to Internet, hence if we do STUN resolution for
the multiple sockets/host candidates, they will get the same IP anyway, so
doing multiple sockets in this case will not improve connectivity checking,
and only to slow down the process (and bog down your link with connectivity
check traffic).

Cheers
 Benny