Vista audio fix?

On 3/19/08, Patrick Smarzynski <patricksma at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I have been using pjsip on Windows Vista and outgoing audio is too bad
>  (stuttering, not usable). I must admit that on XP quality is really good
>  with latest version from trunk. I see that you have an opened ticket (404)
>  about it, but I really need to fix it because more and more Vista as default
>  OS.

Ah thanks for reminding me. This has been in our top priority to fix,
but I've just had a Vista 64bit system just couple of days ago and
haven't had time to do anything useful with it (I need to go through
the dreadful software installations stuffs first!). So any info that
you can share with us would be useful to narrow down the problem.

So which Vista version is that? 32 or 64bit?
What's your DirectX version?

Does anyone else have the same problem with Vista? Or does anyone have
no problem with Vista?

I've been given a hint that audio works okay if we use DirectSound as
the backend, with 20ms audio frame length. So if you could you try
this in your machine that would be great:

Change audio frame time to 20ms (default is 10ms), by declaring this
in your config_site.h:
 #define PJSUA_DEFAULT_AUDIO_FRAME_PTIME 20

Try that first to see if the quality improves with the default WMME backend.

If no, lets try with using DSound backend with the above 20ms frame
time setting:
 #define PJMEDIA_PREFER_DIRECT_SOUND 1

Lets try those and see how it goes.

Cheers,