Port Restricted NAT

I am running the latest SVN version of PJSIP on Windows XP Pro SP3.  The
STUN logic in both PJSIP and SJPhone inform me that my router is a 'port
restricted' NAT.  The router is a Linksys WRT54G v2.1.  The Windows XP
software firewall is off.  It is not clear to me after reviewing the PJSIP
documentation, and other NAT information on the Net, whether or not I should
have to set up port forwarding in my router in order for PJSIP to allow a
peer-to-peer connection to an external PC running PJSIP.  PJSIP has ICE and
STUN enabled on both PCs.  With port forwarding set up, PJSIP makes the
connection to the external PC and transmits/receives audio.  With port
forwarding disabled, PJSIP (or SJPhone) cannot connect to the external PC,
nor can the external PC connect to my PC.  Has anyone else been able to get
PJSIP to work when running behind a port restricted NAT such as my Linksys
router without having to set up port forwarding in the router?

Regards,
--Jonathan