Capturing Audio(PCMA/PCMU) from Serial port

Hi Ashok,

On 04/07/2008, ashok.akumar at wipro.com <ashok.akumar at wipro.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have an application which is using pjmedia communication library for
> sending and receiving rtp packets.
> I run one instance of this application in sendonly mode and another in
> recvonly mode.
> I am sending a wavefile(PCMU) to the remote port from where I m capturing
> the rtp packets and writing the received packets
> into a wavefile.
>
> Now my problem is the send wavefile and the received wavefile are not
> exactly similar ?

It is normal in VoIP that both sent & received audio are not exactly
similar. The audio packets may be lost, dropped, or even some parts
get skewed (become longer/shorter) in order to achieve smoothness yet
real time.  If you need both audio to be exactly similar, you can use
file transfer (e.g: ftp) instead.

> And other thing is size of received wavefile varies with respect to the time
> I give for sleep in the recvonly mode.
>
> Why is it so?

Still related to the above case, it was recording the audio stream
(not exactly copying audio) where the stream length is 'undefined' for
the receiver side, sleep time does limit/define it.

Regards,
nanang