Odd conference memory corruption issue

Norman Franke wrote:
> It's somewhat random, but the memory that gets corrupted is in
> unallocated memory. The OS X malloc checks checksums on freed memory and
> if it was modified after free, it will complain next malloc. This is
> quite reproducible for me. I can't imagine it's PA, since setting the
> conference level to zero causes the same problem, so the PA
> implementation is sill getting good audio. Whether I disconnect the
> sound input from the bridge or set the volume to zero, the bug appears.

The interesting thing is this seems to only happen if the signal
from the microphone is muted, either by muting the microphone
(physically) or disconnecting the mic in the bridge (is it?). I'm
having different behavior here with the same scenario. Here, instead
of memory corruption, my playback (of the call) gets garbled if I
disconnect the mic input, but this only happens with Speex and not
with other codecs. I'm still working on this issue, and who knows
maybe it's related to yours.

What codec are you using?

> Speaking of which, does PJSIP do some sort of gain control? We are
> having issues what something doing gain control that amplifies
> background noise when a client isn't talking. I'm not sure if Asterisk
> is doing it, PJSIP or PA.

The only gain control in PJSIP is in the bridge. If you never call
pjsua/pjmedia_conf_adjust_tx/rx_level() then no gain control is
done. Having said that, the mixing functionality in the bridge also
inherently adjusts the gain of the inputs, *if* more than one inputs
are mixed together. When one sink output only receives from one
input, the input signal will pass through unmodified.

cheers,
  -benny