Intel IPP Question

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
<lists at infosecurity.ch> wrote:

> Hi Manoj,
>
> hooking directly inside pjmedia does not mean trowing away a lot of
> pjsip code.
> As far as i understood the biggest feature that will not be present
> anymore will be the "conference calling" and some PCM level processing
> (that i don't know exactly the requirement)

Well basically almost *all* PJMEDIA features will be unavailable. The only
things that are still usable are things related to transport, such as
RTP/RTCP packetization, jitter buffer, and SRTP.

> Maybe hooking inside pjmedia would also mean having the APS not only
> provide the hardware-royalty-paid-for-free codecs, but that it would
> also directly manage the Voice Activity Detection, that's a very
> important feature in order to statistically reduce the bandwidth of 50% .
>
> Benny, Nanang am i right or not?

Actually I'm not sure. We tested AMR with the built in SIP user agent in
Nokia E90, and from Nokia there doesn't seem to be any VAD/DTX, while from
pjmedia there is. With casual tests, the average bitrate from pjmedia is
only about 2.6Kbps (since we use the 4.75Kbps mode), while from Nokia it's
over 12Kbps. This doesn't say if VAD/DTX feature is not present, but at
least it's not enabled by default, while in pjmedia it is.

> I still did not analyzed in the details what would mean integrating APS
> inside pjmedia even if it seems like the most "clean" design for Symbian
> S60 integration, because directly leverage the platform capabilities.

It shouldn't be too difficult to use device's codec with pjmedia, one just
need to replace the stream implementation with a different one, leveraging
the RTP/RTCP packetization and jitter buffer components that are already
provided in pjmedia. Something like that.

Cheers
 Benny