XML Schema

Hi folks,

I need some help on a XML Schema problem that should be quite easy to solve:

I am currently working on a set of identical client, that shall communicate with each other via NuSOAP. They share data from a relational database and I use a XML Schema for mapping the relational to XML data and back.

Now I have made a schema and experienced the following problem:

imagine you have an element which is of simpleType:

<xs:element name="thing" type="xs:string"/>

this element shall have an attribute, so I extend the element, making a complexType:

<xs:element name="thing" type="xs:string">
  <xs:complexType mixed="true">
    <xs:attribute name="info" type="xs:string" use="required"/>
  </xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

My intention was to create a element like this:

<thing info="foo">bla</thing>

The problem is, my validator tells me, I cannot declare the type "string" to my "thing" anymore, which seems logical because I converted it to a complex type. The mixed="true" ensures that I can fill the element with "bla". So I skipped the type of the element thing.
But I need to be sure, that the "bla" is a string anf e.g. no integer.

Anyone's got a clue how to get sure the "thing" is a string?

thx in advance
Stefan