To: "Chris Coe" <info@intelligentstreaming.com>
Cc: <soap@lists.php.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: [SOAP] Which SOAP ..

Chris Coe wrote:

At 07:23 21/08/2003, Rudi Starcevic wrote:

My take on this is that I am sure we would all prefer a C or other
non-script based library for SOAP, for performance reasons on heavy
load web sites/services. I also believe that it would make it a
little easier to get more widespread acceptance for PHP as a
web services platform if such functions were built into PHP's
base release... but, right now, PEAR::SOAP seems to have more
features and more developer support, and does not require PHP to
be recompiled, so it is the natural choice.

Best,

Chris.

C would be nice. I floating towards mixed C/PHP script for ease of development and maintainability (more PHP script developers around to provide patches etc.). With the new xml capabilities in PHP 5, combined with Curl for transports, most of the heavy processing should happen at the C level. A couple new C level functions might be needed to flesh out soap support. The PHP script level should be there to provide soap library level features, such as supporting alternate transports, enabling extensions to soap, etc. I think with this blend we can find a happy inbetween space that will both perform well and be highly flexible.

Shane