Re: Re: CHAR field with charset UTF8 and COLLATION UNICODE_CI_AI or UTF8PHP is loading white spaces

>  needs help to move
> the string to a variable that it can check if the UTF8 data is a single
> character or multiple characters.

I believe it is a single byte, the goal is to simulate a boolean field,
where I only use S for yes and N for no. (Idem/the same Y and N in English).

There is no operations like 'upper' and 'lower'. The script is very simple,
according to pastebin links in the previous message.

S and N are in the range between 0 and 127 of the ASCII table and UTF-8
says that only one byte is required to encode the first 128 ASCII
characters (Unicode U + 0000 to U + 007F).

But even if it consumed 2, 3 or 4 bytes, UNICODE should predict the end of
the character, so it would be enough to find the end, apply the inverse
algorithm to the encoding of the code point, and we would have the
character back. This is just a dream.

If the situation presented along the thread is a problem, then more people
should report it. Let's wait. I'll use trim per hour, or cast

example

$q = $pdoconn->prepare("SELECT CODIGO, CAST(ACESSOSISTEMA AS VARCHAR(1)) AS
ACESSOSISTEMA FROM USUARIO");

And the problem is solved. Or yet another solution not thought out.

Thank you for the precious information.

Delmar Wichnieski