Re: Joomla MySQL query performance affected by anything non-server related?

Shared hosting is fine.. I don't mind a little "slow" every now and then.
For what this customer needs, a full dedicated server is total overkill.

But the big problem here is that if you exceed a certain amount of CPU and/or
slow query time in a given 60 second window, your site visitors get a big
message saying "CPU/Queries Exceeded!" and they disable your account for
5-10 mins.    If they just queued the queries and throttled the usage, that
would be fine, but to be punished for something that isn't (probably) our
fault is unacceptable.

A query that should take 0.025 seconds taking 20 seconds.. and 2 or 3 of
those at a time.. that's all it takes to get shut down for 5-10 minutes and
look like crap to your site visitors.

The only way I can think to prove the problem is for them to look at other
customers on that same server and see who else is bombing out at the same
time.  Maybe someone else's crappy queries are causing the problem and it's
affecting us.  So maybe they need to lean on that other account a little
heavier to fix their problems.

I've recommended this 2-3 times now, as well as detailing all the things I've
done to alleviate the problem, pointing out the links they sent to me, what
I perceive to be the recommendation and what I did to address it.  Showing
that I've done EVERYTHING they've asked me to do.  And three times, I've
gotten the same copy/paste response.

Really weird, since their support is usually great.  Maybe it's just their
database guys who don't want to work.

-TG