Re: Joomla MySQL query performance affected by anything non-server related?

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Chris <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Too many customers on the same server imo. 600 hits a day is nothing and if
> it takes 7 secs to update one column, that's just plain ridiculous.

I agree with this consensus, and I agree that it's not clear how you
would "prove" this.  Where I differ with my fellows here is that I
don't think proving it is an issue.  I suspect they know the problem
and they are blowing smoke, so it's not a question of proving
anything.  Simply call their bullshit in a professional and respectful
way.

But I'm not sure what the point of that is, really.  You're using
shared hosting, so this is kinda how it goes.  I doubt any shared host
will guarantee any sort of performance.  You get a small share of an
unspecific set of hardware with an unspecified number of other
customers.  Shared hosting is generally geared to hosting small sites
of static pages.  If you're hitting the performance wall, it's
probably time to look at setting up a dedicated server.

One thing that hasn't been suggested is that you could ask if they
have query caching turned on for the server.  Querying caching might
help a little bit by relieving load on the database server.