Re: Joomla MySQL query performance affected by anything non-server related?

----- Original Message -----
From: Afan Pasalic <afan@xxxxxxxx>
To: TG <tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:07:46 -0600
Subject: Re:  Joomla MySQL query performance affected by anything
non-server related?

> TG wrote:
> > Been getting the occasional warning on one of our client sites about
> > excessive CPU usage and/or slow MySQL queries.
> >
> > Looking at the logs, it looks like it's more the latter (slow queries).
> >
> > Some of the queries involve some joins, etc.  But nothing too crazy, and
> > there are the standard indexes on most of the relevant columns used in
> > join/where clauses.  Everything Joomla 1.5 does when it does it's initial
> > setup.
> >
> > I've done everything the web host recommends and the last thing they said
> > check the PHP code and try to optimize that a bit.  But it's standard
> > Joomla 1.5 stuff.  They claim they don't have any other clients having
> > problems with Joomla 1.5.
> >
> > In the end, I think this is a problem with their MySQL server or their
server
> > in general, but they won't admit to that.  So forgive me if this is more
of
> > a MySQL issue and not so much PHP-DB related, but it's the PHP side that
is
> > the last thing they're recommending I check that I technically haven't
> > because I think Joomla's probably fine.
> >
> sounds like hostmonster.com :-)
> had the same issue few times.
> tried to figure out and wasn't able. talked several times with support
> and "suddenly" it was working ok again.
>
> afan

Bingo!  hah.. I was going to be nice and not mention their name, because
they've been outstanding in everything else.  Tech support has always been
prompt and knowledgable.

I still like my Dreamhost.

Thanks for letting me know that other people have had this problem with them.
 Maybe it'll be magically 'fixed' now for us as well.

The "too slow" logs for the last few days haven't had anything over the 7
second one I mentioned.  The problem really came to light when there were
multiple 20+ second queries causing problems.

-TG