Re: Joomla MySQL query performance affected by anything non-server related?

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:58 AM, TG <tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Shared hosting is fine.. I don't mind a little "slow" every now and then.
> For what this customer needs, a full dedicated server is total overkill.
>
> But the big problem here is that if you exceed a certain amount of CPU and/or
> slow query time in a given 60 second window, your site visitors get a big
> message saying "CPU/Queries Exceeded!" and they disable your account for
> 5-10 mins.
[...]

It doesn't sound like you think that's fine.  It sounds like you have
a problem with it.  A dedicated server will solve that problem.  Your
only other realistic option is to dump this provider for another one.
But there's no guarantee you won't have exactly the same problem or
worse on someone else's shared server.  The point is that shared
hosting is something you don't control.  With a dedicated server, you
can call all the shots.  Yes, it's expensive, but it's a trade-off.

I've this sort of bullcrap from other hosts before.  It's not limited
to one host.  It happens.  A company I worked for stopped working with
clients who wanted to put our application on shared hosting because it
was too much of a headache.  One client, for example, had his site
disabled because the host felt it generated too many database queries.
 Um, well, they didn't publish anything about that in their ToS.  You
just sign up, roll the dice, and discover whether the host will work
for you.  And in the process, you've got a lot of PITA.  So I don't
recommend a shared host for providing a database-driven application of
any significant size.

Good luck trying to persuade your chosen host to amend their policies
or improve their server.