Re: PHP4, mssql_* and SQL Server 2005

Ouch! That was like the.. longest.. query that I've ever seen! I'm surprised that it actually works and even more impressed that someone actually figured that out... It might take a long time to run, since it uses so many subqueries (if there's lots of data or even a moderate amount of data). Are you sure there's no easier way to fetch your data? Most subqueries can be re-written using a join and some more where-comparisons instead...

Actually I'm more amazed that you actually can send that query and that it works.. There's a slight chance that your problems might be solved by rewriting that query... Maybe it's just to long or something, I don't know. I will however not take the time to refactor that query... :)

Are you running PHP under Linux or Windows? You said that you only found two queries that breaks? Wll, if the shorter ones works, but the longer ones hangs, then maybe that's the problem...? :)

Regards,
Krister Karlström, Helsinki, Finland

Weaver Hickerson wrote:

Krister -
I've included the query below - If I paste it in query analyzer on 2000, or 2005 it works fine.

Just coming through PHP4 to 2005, it hangs.  I actually don't get an error, and then the browser says the server is too busy to handle the request.  Strange things like that. (I am using Zend Core with Apache and PHP 5).  I will check for smalldatetime fields.

SELECT   COUNT(DISTINCT C.CHART_ID)             AS TOTAL,
         SUM(ISNULL(FEE_SCHEDULE.FEE,0) * UNITS) AS TOTALFEE
FROM     HL7 H,
         CHART C
         LEFT OUTER JOIN CHART_CODE D
                         LEFT OUTER JOIN CHART_CODE_MODIFIER CCM
                           ON CCM.CHART_CODE_ID = D.CHART_CODE_ID
                              AND CCM.CHART_CODE_MODIFIER_ID = (SELECT MIN(CHART_CODE_MODIFIER_ID)
                                                                FROM   CHART_CODE_MODIFIER
                                                                WHERE  CHART_CODE_ID = D.CHART_CODE_ID)
                         LEFT OUTER JOIN FEE_SCHEDULE
                           ON FEE_SCHEDULE.CPT_CODE = D.CHART_CODE
                              AND FEE_SCHEDULE.START_DATE <= (SELECT MSH_DTM
                                                              FROM   HL7,
                                                                     CHART,
                                                                     CHART_CODE
                                                              WHERE  CHART_CODE.CHART_ID = CHART.CHART_ID
                                                                     AND CHART.HL7_ID = HL7.HL7_ID
                                                                     AND CHART_CODE.CHART_CODE_ID = D.CHART_CODE_ID)
                              AND FEE_SCHEDULE.END_DATE >= (SELECT MSH_DTM
                                                            FROM   HL7,
                                                                   CHART,
                                                                   CHART_CODE
                                                            WHERE  CHART_CODE.CHART_ID = CHART.CHART_ID
                                                                   AND CHART.HL7_ID = HL7.HL7_ID
                                                                   AND CHART_CODE.CHART_CODE_ID = D.CHART_CODE_ID)
                              AND FEE_SCHEDULE.SENDING_FACILITY = (SELECT SENDING_FACILITY
                                                                   FROM   HL7,
                                                                          CHART,
                                                                          CHART_CODE
                                                                   WHERE  CHART_CODE.CHART_ID = CHART.CHART_ID
                                                                          AND CHART.HL7_ID = HL7.HL7_ID
                                                                          AND CHART_CODE.CHART_CODE_ID = D.CHART_CODE_ID)
                              AND FEE_SCHEDULE.CODE_TYPE = 'pro'
                              AND FEE_SCHEDULE.MODIFIER = CCM.MODIFIER
                         LEFT OUTER JOIN FEE_SCHEDULE FS
                           ON FS.CPT_CODE = D.CHART_CODE
                              AND FS.START_DATE <= (SELECT MSH_DTM
                                                    FROM   HL7,
                                                           CHART,
                                                           CHART_CODE
                                                    WHERE  CHART_CODE.CHART_ID = CHART.CHART_ID
                                                           AND CHART.HL7_ID = HL7.HL7_ID
                                                           AND CHART_CODE.CHART_CODE_ID = D.CHART_CODE_ID)
                              AND FS.END_DATE >= (SELECT MSH_DTM
                                                  FROM   HL7,
                                                         CHART,
                                                         CHART_CODE
                                                  WHERE  CHART_CODE.CHART_ID = CHART.CHART_ID
                                                         AND CHART.HL7_ID = HL7.HL7_ID
                                                         AND CHART_CODE.CHART_CODE_ID = D.CHART_CODE_ID)
                              AND FS.SENDING_FACILITY = (SELECT SENDING_FACILITY
                                                         FROM   HL7,
                                                                CHART,
                                                                CHART_CODE
                                                         WHERE  CHART_CODE.CHART_ID = CHART.CHART_ID
                                                                AND CHART.HL7_ID = HL7.HL7_ID
                                                                AND CHART_CODE.CHART_CODE_ID = D.CHART_CODE_ID)
                              AND FS.CODE_TYPE = 'pro'
                              AND (FS.MODIFIER = ''
                                    OR FS.MODIFIER IS NULL)
           ON D.CHART_CODE_ID IN (SELECT MIN(CHART_CODE_ID)
                                  FROM   CHART_CODE
                                  WHERE  CHART_ID = C.CHART_ID)
WHERE    MSH_DTM >= '10/01/2008'
         AND MSH_DTM < DATEADD(D,1,'10/31/2008')
         AND H.HL7_ID = C.HL7_ID
         AND CHART_CODE IN ('99281','99282','99283','99284',
                            '99285','99291')
         AND C.STATUS = 6
         AND H.SENDING_FACILITY = 'AEU'
ORDER BY 1