PHP-MySQL connection for particular module

Hello,

First of all, please, have in mind that I am new in this business.

I have a problem connecting with data base in one particular module. That's
right. The rest of the modules can connect to db, update tables with new
info but this one is refusing giving me message like this:

"Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Access denied for user
'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in D:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\login.php on line 17

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: A link to the server could
not be established in
D:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\login.php on
line 17"

It is a authentication module and this is the fragment of the code which is
giving me a hard time:

<?php
include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].
        '/layout.php';

switch($_REQUEST['req']){

case "validate":

   $validate = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM members
                           WHERE username = '{$_POST['username']}'
                           AND password = md5('{$_POST['password']}')"
                           );

etc....

My platform is WinXP on drive F:\ (I have Win'98 on C:\) and as you can see
my program files are on D:\. All this may not be important but I listed
anyway.
It is installed Apache 2.2.6 using windows installer, PHP 5.2.6 (I just
replaced 5.2.5 hoping to fix the problem), and MySQL 5.0.45.

I am using persisten connection which should be on until you restart the
server. I have a file included in every page for connection with MySQL and
data base.
PHP manual says that "mysql_query" reuses the existing connection or try to
create one if not present (I think, according to the warning is trying to
create one).
I had been checking after each step using phpinfo() if the connection is
there and it's there but for some reason the above fragment does not work.
As I mentioned above the rest of my modules are working fine with mysql.

I checked the "php.ini" file. I compared it to "php.ini.recomended" from the
.zip distribusion package and they are almost identical exept couple of
things for error reporting.
I, also checked FAQ, mail listings and other forums but it does not seem
anybody had a similar problem.

In one of my tests I included a line for connection just before the problem
lines, as described below, and it worked but my intention is to keep such
lines in a separate files and include them in every page instead.

$link = mysql_pconnect('localhost', 'root', 'testing');

   $validate = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM members
                           WHERE username = '{$_POST['username']}'
                           AND password = md5('{$_POST['password']}')"
                           );
etc.

As I metioned, this is an authentication module and, may be, that's why is
behaving diferently from the rest or I need to do some setup changes in
"php.ini" which I am not familiar with.

If anyone has had simmilar problem I would appreciate his/her input. Please,
help me resolve this mistery.