PHP - FreeTDS - UnixODBC - MS-SQL Am I missing something....

Hey there folks...

OK, so I am getting to the point where I am not sure where to look...

It would seem that the combination of PHP & ODBC are just not happy.

This is running on SLES 10 SP1, php 5.1.2 Zend Eng 2.1.0

FreeTDS is latest stable, UNIXOdbc Latest Stable

I can connect just fine ie:

$conn = odbc_connect(SrvIP,'sa','saPWD');

Changing databases is not problem ie:

odbc_exec($conn,'use different_DB');

I can make calls to things like odbc_tables() and iterate through the
table names. and I can do this from either the server command line or
via a web page, all of this is fine.

I can connect to the remove database server with both:

 tsql  [serverip], [username],[password]

isql [DSN], [username],[password]

I can execute queries, I can create tables, drop tables, insert rows,
all works just fine.

The problem hits when I do something as simple as:

$conn = odbc_connect(SrvIP,'sa','saPWD');

$query = 'select count(*) from sysobjects' ;

$result = odbc_exec($conn,$query);

I try this and it is game over.  Nothing it all just hangs.  I have
tried reviewing the sql.log file and it just simply stops logging after
the connect statement.

This is the result, from either the command line ie:php5 sqltest.php or
pulling it from a web page ie: http://server/sqltest.php

I would be very appreciative if someone could provide me with a clue as
to where to start looking.  I have reviewed all the setting for PHP,
Apache, ODBC, FreeTDS and I cannot find something wrong, but obviously,
I am missing something here.

Thanks in Advance,

- Bill